MAISHA COLLECTIVE PARTNERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
As refugees continue to pour over Kenya’s borders, scarves produced by Heshima Kenya’s Maisha Collective serve as a powerful advocacy tool, generating awareness and support. Unlike other fair trade initiatives in which textiles pass through multiple hands before reaching the consumer, there is no middleman or “agent” selling the Maisha product on our behalf. We control sales and distribution and ensure the integrity of the story behind our product. This ensures the consumer is made aware of the product’s mission, and that we maintain high margins to benefit our programs.
Highlighted Success of the Maisha Collective
- The Nike Foundation recently purchased $8,000 in Maisha scarves to gift to Nike executives at a corporate convening.
- In 2012, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) purchased our largest order to date of 1,200 scarves for their travel kits used by resettled refugees traveling to the United States.
- In 2012, the Maisha Collective was featured in Daily Candy, Martha Stewart Living, and Time Out Magazine - Chicago.
Benefits of Partnering with the Maisha Collective
- A long-term partnership and commitment from the Maisha Collective to significant units of scarf production over the years, therefore putting more vulnerable women to work
- An exclusive, unique product that connects emotionally and aesthetically with your customer
- Multi-layered, international media coverage
- Human-interest narratives and storytelling in retail stores, on Heshima Kenya’s website, and through Etsy.com
- Distribution in diverse, upscale and fair-trade stores in the US, Europe and Kenya
- Seamless systems for online sales, outreach to fair trade wholesale buyers, and grass roots sales
- Successful campaigns at local, national, and international craft markets
- Established business model for Maisha Scarf Party home fundraisers and entrepreneurial opportunities
- Ability to export directly from Heshima Kenya in Nairobi, entirely eliminating the “middle man”
Corporate Sponsorship Opportunities
- Matching Gifts Program: Many employers have matching gift programs that match charitable contributions made by their employees
- Maisha Program Sponsorship: Fund one aspect of the Maisha Collective such as design workshops with local artisans, product development or marketing and sales
- Employee recognition, special occasion and holiday gifts for employees
Fashion Design Partnerships
- Create an exclusive product line, including opportunities to develop new or custom product designed in collaboration with members of The Maisha Collective
- Work with members of Maisha to design and source custom prints for use in product development or design
- Purchase Maisha scarves in bulk (details below) to sell at your store. Respected retailers such as Akira, Acacia Designs, Flourish Studios, Global Goods Partners, The Green Goddess Boutique, Komoda, Nest, and Reinvent have purchased from the Maisha Collective.
- Many private upscale boutiques and gift shops in Nairobi carry Maisha scarves, including the Kenyan National Museum, the Intercontinental Hotel, and The Banana Box. In 2012, The Maisha Collective was proud to expand our international sales reach to fashion retailers in the UK and Finland.
Email [email protected] for more information about costing and quantities.
Our current styles are posted in our online Etsy shop. Or you may contact us to visit our Ravenswood, Chicago office to view and select scarves.
Please contact [email protected] or call (773) 654- 1180 for further questions or inquiries.